Cubase for Linux

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
mroekalea

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by mroekalea » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:47 pm

Linux isn't the answer for standard users! I think the forum will be needing an extra section for linux troubles!
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:08 am

mroekalea wrote:Linux isn't the answer for standard users! I think the forum will be needing an extra section for linux troubles!
Of course, in the same way that there is already a special section for WIndows troubles, and a special section for Mac troubles.
Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 9.5.30 | WaveLab 9.5.25 | HALion 6.1.0 | Groove Agent 4.2.40 | Midex 3/Midex 8 | x64 only

Przemek K.

Post by Przemek K. » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:27 am

The thing is, even for me as a standard windows user, linux gets more atractive. It's not that hard to use.
And also linux is very customizable in every way. You can make it look like windows or mac osx for easier switching.
Actually it would be great if steinberg and other audio companys would just pull their minds together and create a linux based os optimized for audio/midi.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:04 am

Linux Mint is one of the variants popular at the moment. I recently replaced XP on a laptop for someone with no other computer experience and they were able to use it without any problems with no additional help from me, and were astonished at how snappy Linux was compared to the old XP installation, which had slowed to a crawl with all sorts of malware and AV requirements.

Of course it's different and will not suit everyone, but all that is proposed is to make this an option for those with no preconceived ideas. None of the arguments against Cubase on Linux hold up, any more than any of the arguments against Libre Office hold up. It would also provide, as an option, a stable platform that could be delivered as a dedicated DAW OS for professional use, that will not depend on the whims of OS vendors, who must cater for all possible markets.
Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 9.5.30 | WaveLab 9.5.25 | HALion 6.1.0 | Groove Agent 4.2.40 | Midex 3/Midex 8 | x64 only

Mr. Beer

Post by Mr. Beer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:47 pm

Can I get a compile for my HP-9000, 28 PA-RISC processor system running HP-UX 11iv3
My wife said I was delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Jarno

Post by Jarno » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:50 pm

Mr. Beer wrote:Can I get a compile for my HP-9000, 28 PA-RISC processor system running HP-UX 11iv3
Still waiting for IRIX version of Cubase for my SGI O2. :twisted:
Cubase 8 Pro/7/4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/Taylor/Ortega/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl/Olympic by Premier drumkits | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:03 am

Well guys ... you have the source code .... you know what to do! :-)

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:06 am

MrSoundman wrote:Linux Mint is one of the variants popular at the moment. I recently replaced XP on a laptop for someone with no other computer experience and they were able to use it without any problems with no additional help from me, and were astonished at how snappy Linux was compared to the old XP installation, which had slowed to a crawl with all sorts of malware and AV requirements.

Of course it's different and will not suit everyone, but all that is proposed is to make this an option for those with no preconceived ideas. None of the arguments against Cubase on Linux hold up, any more than any of the arguments against Libre Office hold up. It would also provide, as an option, a stable platform that could be delivered as a dedicated DAW OS for professional use, that will not depend on the whims of OS vendors, who must cater for all possible markets.
+1 for Mint, I've been using it since version 7 or so, its at 17.2 currently. For those what want just a look, download the ISO, burn to disc, then boot up with it.

Another great distro for multimedia is Ubuntu Studio. Realtime kernel optimized. (more so than Mint)

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:38 pm

NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:Another great distro for multimedia is Ubuntu Studio
.... and (how's that for timing?) you should be able to find an Ubuntu Studio bootable DVD free on the cover of this month's Linux Magazine.

Richard Herbert

Post by Richard Herbert » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:11 am

MrSoundman wrote:
NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:Another great distro for multimedia is Ubuntu Studio
.... and (how's that for timing?) you should be able to find an Ubuntu Studio bootable DVD free on the cover of this month's Linux Magazine.
You really are pimping Linux aren't ya? Are you Linus in disguise?

If something needs so much advertisement from fan boys how can it be the obvious choice?

Richard Herbert

Post by Richard Herbert » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:25 am

MrSoundman wrote:
Raphie wrote:would you pay €600 for a Linux version?
No, but I wouldn't have to; I have a license that entitles me to run Cubase on all platforms for which the product is available.
If you really want Cubase on Linux promise Steinberg that you will pay them for a new full license just for Linux. Get a thousand people to sign a legal contract saying they will all pay for a full new license for a Linux Cubase.

In fact pay them up front, how about that?

If Linux is so good why haven't you created your own DAW in it that surpasses Cubase?

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:44 am

The fact that this topic has over 13000 views is quite indicative that "pimping" is not required... obviously search engines are having folks land here because they think the concept is good.

Anyway, this is an endless argument. And somewhere Linus is smiling.... 8-)

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:11 am

Linux is stable for some purposes like web services, database services but requires too much steps getting everything up and running in comparising with the windows platform, you can not get it all done with a GUI, there are some steps which have to be done by putting commands on or editing files, if Linux will become a common platform I would run it but the chance is very low as the biggest problem is getting all parties to join vst devs, hw devs etc etc
Menoj

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:16 am

Ooh yeah and every year there is another distro populair, last year it was ubuntu before that it was opensuse and so on and on, I have followed linux more then 25 years and know it is a good platform, but only for business purposeks. If you want to download some software for your distro look at how many distributions are available (the distr.ibutions are immens and for the developers a nightmare to keep up)
Menoj

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:54 am

I'm reminded of a quote from Ken Olsen (founder of Digital Equipment Corp.) in 1977: "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:04 pm

mroekalea wrote: it is a good platform, but only for business purposes....
I have to disagree. At our house we have two PCs that run Linux, one with Mint, which is as close to a "Windows killer" as I have seen Linux get, and another one that runs Qimo, which my grand children are all over and love. Mint is used by our grown up kids when they visit and me and the wife surf on it... no issues with dozens of apps I've installed, multimedia delivery from the net is fine... Skype works great... so for most folks, that's a typical Desktop OS experience.

Cubase, and DAWs in general, are niche applications, so there would be, as you've rightly said, complications for developers to maintain stability of their apps across so many distributions, but I don't see that as an issue. They could simply choose one of the mainstream items, like Mint, and offer stability under just that one flavour. No different than Logic and MacOS really (which is a unix variant now isn't it?) .

There's a good feeling to using an OS other than WinMac ... not being reliant on monoliths feels great.

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:16 pm

I have to disagree. At our house we have two PCs that run Linux, one with Mint, which is as close to a "Windows killer" as I have seen Linux get, and another one that runs Qimo, which my grand children are all over and love. Mint is used by our grown up kids when they visit and me and the wife surf on it... no issues with dozens of apps I've installed, multimedia delivery from the net is fine... Skype works great... so for most folks, that's a typical Desktop OS experience.
I agree when up and running it's working and looks simple, but as soon as you need to troubleshoot, add hardware drivers modify network setting, you're in fro a treat.
Just look up some basic troubleshoot stuff for linux, 80 till 90 percent is command based, not simple commands but a bogged down C script language is what you will be dealing with.

Offcourse it's all your own choice, but as an senior IT guy I know how much colleagues of my did the beauty talk 'bout (l)UNIX, but when in trouble these guys went totally under rader, and I know why :-)

I'm a DBA guy during office hours, my career started as a VAX-VMS/HP-UX/Sun station UX/HP-3000/OPenVMS/SCO UX/NCR UX. I think Linux didn't exist in that time (1990 and later).

I'm not after intense discussion just want to add some of my experience so people have the opportunity to see the whole picture.

Menoj
Menoj

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:28 pm

Once again I must wonder why people who clearly have no interest in using Linux are so passionately arguing against it. The proposal is simply that a version of Cubase be available for those that would like to use it, not that the Windows and Mac versions be taken off the market!

When the first version of 64-bit Cubase was made available (which also had limitations), did the entire support structure collapse? Did Steinberg go bankrupt? Did 32-bit versions suddenly stop working? Of course not, and now I reckon most people are using the 64-bit version.

It would be no different if a Linux version were added to the line-up.

Boatman

Post by Boatman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:41 pm

I loathe Linux evangelists.

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:30 pm

Boatman wrote:I loathe Linux evangelists.
Respectfully, I loathe Linux evangelist loathers. ;) I say respectfully, as you have a right to your opinion and I mine. :mrgreen: Do we not bleed same as non evangelists? Are we not men? (we are Devo). :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

Its not the be-all and end-all, but there are a lot of dated and preconceived notions about Linux. Folks simply have to try it for a month or two. Same argument for an Apple-geek not willing to try Windoze or vice versa. :roll:

And this topic is not about the OS so much as a fourth platform for Cubase.

Richard Herbert

Post by Richard Herbert » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Przemek K. wrote:The thing is, even for me as a standard windows user, linux gets more atractive. It's not that hard to use.
And also linux is very customizable in every way. You can make it look like windows or mac osx for easier switching.
Actually it would be great if steinberg and other audio companys would just pull their minds together and create a linux based os optimized for audio/midi.
Support nightmare!!

Richard Herbert

Post by Richard Herbert » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:09 am

MrSoundman wrote:Once again I must wonder why people who clearly have no interest in using Linux are so passionately arguing against it. The proposal is simply that a version of Cubase be available for those that would like to use it, not that the Windows and Mac versions be taken off the market!

When the first version of 64-bit Cubase was made available (which also had limitations), did the entire support structure collapse? Did Steinberg go bankrupt? Did 32-bit versions suddenly stop working? Of course not, and now I reckon most people are using the 64-bit version.

It would be no different if a Linux version were added to the line-up.
Once again I must wonder why people who are so passionate for a Linux version blindly assume it will have no impact on the already supported platforms.

At the moment the latest versions of the 2 OS's it does run on aren't supported and there are problems even with the supported versions, people having graphical stuttering and performance problems. I hear people say that Reaper or Studio 1 don't have these problems on Windows then other people say that Reaper and Studio 1 are buggy as heck on OSX. Cubase is cross platform and already on an uneven playing field trying to perform well on 2 totally different platforms with ever changing API's.

And then Linux fans want them to add support for their favourite OS with X11 or whatever the current graphical subsystem for that is and don't seem to think it will affect the stability on other systems. I would think compromises always have to be made.

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:34 am

Linux is built for concurrent user shells, multitasking/distributed computing is what it's best in, the evolution of Unix system 5 (source for Linux based systems) is a long one.
Modern OS like MacOS and Windows are built several times from bottom till top again with new architecture and code, these systems are more user friendly then Unix and built for user practices. Not saying Unix is worse but the biggest problem I will see is normal users who just want to make music coping with Linux problems.
Menoj

dathho

Post by dathho » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:36 pm

As a long time FLOSS daw user my vote is for complete linux support. I vote Paul Davis for President of the combined Harrison, Yamaha, Steinberg.
wdaw: Windows10 Pro x86_64, 7.4 WEI, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, RME UFX+. Cubase Pro 9, Halion 6, Groove Agent 4, Grand 3.

common: Maschine 2.6 (MIKRO MK2), Komplete 11 Ultimate. iConnect MIDI+4, Axiom 49, Yamaha Motif XF8, Roland RD-500, RC-300, GT-100, Lot's of Mics, Guitars, Mandolins, Bass(s), and an Mullen G2 D10.

fdaw: Fedora 25, AMD FX(tm) - 9590, 32 GB, 2x256GB SSD, 1x6TB HDD, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, JACK, Ardour5, MixBus, Qtractor, MIXXX, TouchDAW

Richard Herbert

Post by Richard Herbert » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:26 pm

dathho wrote:As a long time FLOSS daw user my vote is for complete linux support. I vote Paul Davis for President of the combined Harrison, Yamaha, Steinberg.
Ok but what about everyone that isn't super talented? Should they all give work away for free?

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”