Cubase 9.5 now Inserts pasted audio instead of overwriting?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
MaestroMetro7

Cubase 9.5 now Inserts pasted audio instead of overwriting?

Post by MaestroMetro7 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:16 pm

This may just be a setting that got changed after I upgraded to Cubase 9.5 but I've recently noted that the behavior of copying and pasting sections of audio within the audio editor now insert my audio from my clipboard instead of overwriting the selected area.

For example, if I open the audio editor window and drag my cursor to select lets say a 1/4 bar or audio phrase, copy that selected audio and then move the shaded (selected) section to another location within the audio and paste. Whereas before the upgrade, I would get the copied phrase pasted to fill the entire selection; Cubase now inserts the audio and moves all the remaining audio down causing the previously aligned audio to shift to the right.

If I'd simply placed my cursor to another position within the audio and pasted, then I'd expect the audio shift; essentially an insert. But not when I've moved a selected (section) to a different location. I'd want it to overwrite everything within the selected area.

How can I re-enable the feature because something has obviously changed. :(

MaestroMetro7

Re: Cubase 9.5 now Inserts pasted audio instead of overwriting?

Post by MaestroMetro7 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:27 am

Let me re-phrase and elaborate a bit more on the original question a bit because I can't just find it hard to believe this to be a difficult or unreasonable question.

"ONE" of the default behaviors in Cubase when editing copies of audio files is for a dialog prompt to come up stating something to the effect that all copies of the audio regardless of their location in the arrangement will be affected. So if I have a copy of an audio clip at every 2nd measure in the arrangement and edit just one of those clips; all copies will also be edited (By Default) unless you specify that you want ONLY the edited clip to be affected. In which case, you can select "New Version" from the dialog prompt.

Now, there is also a checkbox in that dialog prompt that allows you to opt out of receiving any subsequent prompts when editing your audio. But if you do that (from my understanding); you are telling Cubase that whenever you edit an audio clip with multiple copies; all the copies of that clip will be edited as well without any additional prompt.

Simillarly, I believe there HAS to be a setting somewhere maybe in Preferences that specify when working in the Audio editor; that when you copy a "SECTION" of audio and with the cursor, move that "SECTION" of audio to a different position within the audio clip and paste it; that Cubase should "REPLACE" the affected "SECTION" of audio with what has been copied INSTEAD of "INSERTING" the audio and shifting everything to the right.

No one here has seen this happen???

I believe the upgrade may have changed some of the settings I originally had because that was the previous behavior before the upgrade but ideally I prefer not to set my preferences to default because then I'd have to go back and recreate my preference template.

Surely someone knows where the setting is because I cannot find it.

But albeit, if there's isn't anyone here that understands the question; I'll simply contact support. But I felt the forum would be the best place to check first.

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:28 pm

I don't believe there is any setting, try starting in safe mode to confirm if a preferences reset would fix it.
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

planarchist

Post by planarchist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Hmm... this behaviour does indeed seem to have changed. Like Grim I don't think there was ever a Preference or Dialog though.

Shall have to check more.
Nic

Cubase Pro 9.5.10, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Tascam US1800, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 9.5.10, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1, Steinberg CI2+, Yamaha THR5.

Cubase Elements 9 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 1.9.9 iPad Mini 4 64GB

MaestroMetro7

Post by MaestroMetro7 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm still running Cubase 9 in parallel on my system so I've recorded the behavior in both versions of Cubase and have opened a support ticket.

I also saved a backup of my global preferences file and performed a full default reset in Cubase 9.5 but it doesn't appear to have done anything regarding this particular behavior. So I guess that does suggest that it isn't a Preference setting.

I'll post back what support provides once they respond.

Thanks

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:11 pm

planarchist wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:54 pm
Hmm... this behaviour does indeed seem to have changed. Like Grim I don't think there was ever a Preference or Dialog though.

Yeah...Maybe a 9.5 bug. I'm not updated so can't confirm.
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

planarchist

Post by planarchist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:35 pm

MaestroMetro7 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:26 pm
I'm still running Cubase 9 in parallel on my system so I've recorded the behavior in both versions of Cubase and have opened a support ticket.

I also saved a backup of my global preferences file and performed a full default reset in Cubase 9.5 but it doesn't appear to have done anything regarding this particular behavior. So I guess that does suggest that it isn't a Preference setting.

I'll post back what support provides once they respond.

Thanks
Yes, I can confirm it's different from 9 on my Windows 7 system at least. I can't think that this will be one of the weird ones that's different between Windows 7 and 10 but shall check Windows 10 too, if you haven't already.

Look forward to hear the Support response.
Grim wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:11 pm
planarchist wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Yeah...Maybe a 9.5 bug. I'm not updated so can't confirm.
It does rather look like it....though I'm a bit surprised no-one's spotted it before (in fact I thought I was doing just some such editing the other day on my other system.....)
Nic

Cubase Pro 9.5.10, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Tascam US1800, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 9.5.10, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1, Steinberg CI2+, Yamaha THR5.

Cubase Elements 9 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 1.9.9 iPad Mini 4 64GB

cakass

Post by cakass » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:38 pm

This bug (if it is a bug) is seriously annoying. I'm having to revert to Cubase 9.0.
Cubase 9.5, Dell XPS 13 9350, 2.3GHz i5-6200U CPU, 8Gb ram, UR-122 Mkii interface

Return to “General”