Cubase 9.0.10 Update finally released!

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
In_Stereo

Re: Cubase 9.0.10 Update finally released!

Post by In_Stereo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:49 pm

AP wrote:If you mention Cubase in Los Angeles they look at you like Cu what!!!
This is a bit true, I must admit, in my personal experience. I do music for a living in L.A. -- have been for 16 years. Many people here in the "professional" world don't really know much about Cubase. Yeah, I know: Hans Zimmer etc, but I know a lot of successful younger composers and producers here and almost all of them are on the other big name DAWs. This absolutely doesn't mean that Cubase is any better or worse, just that I rarely ever see it used in the professional worlds that I'm in, in Los Angeles. I'm sure some use it -- I just haven't come across them personally. For some reason many just don't really know much about it, and it hasn't permeated the pro market here like the other DAWs have, from my experience.

ALL DAWs have issues, and if you go any forum of any DAW maker you'll see tons of complaints like you do here. Cubase has a good amount it needs to improve from a core DAW perspective (Mac GUI issues, processor efficiency, GUI inconsistencies, automation handling, warping directly in the project window, etc.) - on that I will agree, and I'm hoping it's on the plate extremely soon. But to say "(insert DAW here) is better than Cubase!" is simply not true. They all have issues and all will frustrate you in certain ways. :-)
Last edited by In_Stereo on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Cubase 9.5, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, Sierra 10.12.1 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 32 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:44 pm

AP wrote:Cubase is number 6 in the top 10 DAWs. Logic is number 5 and Ableton is number 1. Cubase is losing popularity. <> More hits are produced with Logic. If you mention Cubase in Los Angeles they look at you like Cu what!!!
Are you seriously bringing that stuff up as 'arguments'? Stop wasting my time, please..
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 9.5.15 | Cubase 9.0.30 | HALion Sonic 2.0.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

AP

Post by AP » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:02 pm

djw wrote:
AP wrote:There's nothing that Cubase can do that Logic can't other than the chord track which I never use.
What, Logic natively supports VST now?

By the way, why don't you just use Logic then? Completely serious question.
I just switched to Logic Pro X. But I might update to Cubase 9.5 and 10 if Steinberg gets their bugs fixed.
Currently trying to learn Logic as well as Cubase and getting there slowly.
Cubase Pro 9.5. 15" MacBook Pro i7, SSD, 16 GB Ram, OS 10.12.6. UR28M, CMC.

djw

Post by djw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:28 pm

But why would you still bother to stick with Cubase at all?
🥕
Specs: Latest versions of Cubase Pro, Dorico, WaveLab Pro, Windows 10, AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 390, YS CI1

AP

Post by AP » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:25 pm

djw wrote:But why would you still bother to stick with Cubase at all?
There are thousand of Mac users that use both Cubase and Logic. Some musicians use all DAWs. I was using both garage band and Cubase for the past year. I'm just taking a break from Cubase for now.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:16 am

AP wrote:[...] Cubase is number 6 in the top 10 DAWs. Logic is number 5 and Ableton is number 1. Cubase is losing popularity. In term of feature logic is equal to Cubase. There's nothing that Cubase can do that Logic can't other than the chord track which I never use.

More hits are produced with Logic. If you mention Cubase in Los Angeles they look at you like Cu what!!!
Cubissues or Cufix please...
Sources?
First step when something goes haywire: Safe-Start Mode
Cubase Pro and Nuendo, latest versions available. | Windows Pro 10
i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | UR44 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid

AP

Post by AP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:32 am

SteveInChicago wrote:
AP wrote:[...] Cubase is number 6 in the top 10 DAWs. Logic is number 5 and Ableton is number 1. Cubase is losing popularity. In term of feature logic is equal to Cubase. There's nothing that Cubase can do that Logic can't other than the chord track which I never use.

More hits are produced with Logic. If you mention Cubase in Los Angeles they look at you like Cu what!!!
Cubissues or Cufix please...
Sources?
http://www.producerspot.com/top-best-da ... c-software

djw

Post by djw » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:36 am

Oh come on, that's just some poll among random people online. You're gonna base your views on some kids who like Ableton?
🥕
Specs: Latest versions of Cubase Pro, Dorico, WaveLab Pro, Windows 10, AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 390, YS CI1

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:19 am

Sorry for this vent... I mean not to direct this at any particular person:

Babies will always cry because they can't do things for themselves.

Again, I apologize. But seriously, why be a baby and whine when you have food. If your butt is not wiped in the way you like, well go live with your grandparents.
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

Mrhehon

Post by Mrhehon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:09 pm

I was sort of half following this thread and as always it turned into the usual, logic, Studio one, Ableton. etc is better, followed by I´m leaving you Steinberg from forum members that have been saying the same for years.

Then it sort of got a bit arrogant with the “I make my music in LA” but the best yet, using a poll from something called Producerspot.com as the evidence for the claims ….I nearly spat my English tea out when I clicked on that link…..
Last edited by Mrhehon on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 pro 64bit
Cubase Pro 9
PC i7 920@2.67 GHz 15GB ram
2xMR816 CSX FireWire Audio Interfaces
CC121 controller
Nektar P6

peAk

Post by peAk » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Mrhehon wrote:I was sort of half following this thread and as always it turned into the usual logic, Studio one, Ableton. etc is better, followed by I´m leaving you Steinberg from forum members that have been saying the same for years.

Then it sort of got a bit arrogant with the “I make my music in LA” but the best yet, using a poll from something called Producerspot.com as the evidence for the claims ….I nearly spat my English tea out when I clicked on that link…..
agree
Cubase 9.5
Win10 Pro
i7 3.4Ghz 4770 Haswell
16GB
Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Western Digital Black
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
M-Audio Delta66 W/OmniStudio
Nektar P4

greggybud

Post by greggybud » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Mrhehon wrote:I nearly spat my English tea out when I clicked on that link…..
Well, you can't beat this kind of logic for the "pro" as quoted:

"Somewhere is a grain of truth because the best music software is also the most popular software used and loved by the majority." :lol:

So again... the never ending frustration with some Steinberg users. Releasing new features vs. fixing bugs/improving workflow and the fact that resources are limited. Are you going to compete with other DAW's and race to the bottom, or are you going to stand out by appeasing more every-day users or professionals who value core DAW functions, bug fixes, and workflow and not compete with 3rd party developers so much?

IMO it's a compromise, and considering how flexible and feature-rich Cubase is, it's a huge task.
Windows 7x64, Wavelab 9.5, latest Cubase version, i7, 16g, SSD, (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750ti driving 2 32" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, 4 TB HDs, UAD-2, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

Mrhehon

Post by Mrhehon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Sorry I should have put a comma between the words usual and Logic. Can see how that changes the sentence I have edited it.
Windows 10 pro 64bit
Cubase Pro 9
PC i7 920@2.67 GHz 15GB ram
2xMR816 CSX FireWire Audio Interfaces
CC121 controller
Nektar P6

Wolfie2112

Post by Wolfie2112 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:09 pm

Mrhehon wrote:I was sort of half following this thread and as always it turned into the usual, logic, Studio one, Ableton. etc is better, followed by I´m leaving you Steinberg from forum members that have been saying the same for years.

It is amusing! Especially since they never leave, and are constantly demanding that alleged show-stopping bugs get fixed immediately...or else.

And who really gives a crap if one makes music in LA, that means nothing these days. With the way technology is, the whole world is "LA". I earn a healthy living from Alberta, Canada, eh! And typically receive more musical work than some colleagues in LA :D

theRoyal1

Post by theRoyal1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:09 am

Logic...lol ya...ok

:geek:
Custom WS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 32GB GEIL Evo Corsa DDR3 1600 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 4xSamsung 840/850 EVO 1TB + 2xWD2500 + 2xWD4001 HDD | CM Cosmos II | Enermax 1200w 80+ Platinum
Cubits : Cubase 9.5.2o
CMC-TP | CMC-CH | CMC-PD | CMC-AI | CMC-FD | CMC-QC

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti ,Virus C | Maschine Studio | Roland TR-8, TB-3, VT-3 | Roland XV-5080, JV-2080 | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | Yamaha AW4416 | MOTU 2408mk3, MidiXT | Mackie HR824 | Seiki SE50UY04

claesbjo

Post by claesbjo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:44 pm

AP wrote:In term of feature logic is equal to Cubase. There's nothing that Cubase can do that Logic can't other than the chord track which I never use.
There is no PLE and no macros in Logic, invaluable tools. No slipping of waveform inside event either. No selective batch render of tracks. I work a lot with Logic, and have done so for + 15 years, and I very much prefer Cubase, with it´s flaws.
2010 Mac Pro 6-core 3.33 ghz. 24 mb RAM. osx 10.10.1. Cubase 8.0.20, Logic PRO 10.1

zyguli

Post by zyguli » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:47 pm

In_Stereo wrote: I know a lot of successful younger composers and producers here and almost all of them are on the other big name DAWs.
1/ Current day "younger composers and producers" usually can't play instruments, including keys, and don't care about Cubase's superior workflow for instrument players - especially for the keyboard players.
2/ They also don't do much of tracking and comping, thus they don't care that their DAW doesn't provide the tools for that.
3/ There are lots of Ableton and FL Studio tutorials on the web and very few Cubase tutorials that would have appeal to the younger generation interested in "making EDM" and "making beats".
4/ Apple brand is big in the US.
5/ There has been no Cubase Pro crack for 8 years. Every other DAW has got it's cracked version. Even if they eventually buy the license, they usually begin with cracked version of their DAW of choice (usually Ableton and FL Studio).

djw

Post by djw » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:12 pm

zyguli wrote:Every other DAW has got it's cracked version. Even if they eventually buy the license, they usually begin with cracked version of their DAW of choice (usually Ableton and FL Studio).
I kinda wish Steinberg realized this.
🥕

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:49 pm

djw wrote:
zyguli wrote:Every other DAW has got it's cracked version. Even if they eventually buy the license, they usually begin with cracked version of their DAW of choice (usually Ableton and FL Studio).
I kinda wish Steinberg realized this.
Of course they realize that, and they make their choice. I don't know of any real data that supports that proposition though.
First step when something goes haywire: Safe-Start Mode
Cubase Pro and Nuendo, latest versions available. | Windows Pro 10
i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | UR44 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid

silhouette

Post by silhouette » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:53 pm

God how I hate the word/partial word "Pro". I do wish that Steinberg had not named this edition of Cubase "Pro". There have been so many verbal atrocities committed in this forum under this delusion. How many visual artists or indeed any other kind of artist call themselve a Pro. Perhaps a sex worker at the lower end of the market. Usually the argument runs to a bit of name dropping, braggadocio and all knowingness.

Me? I have used Cubase since God knows when. I use a combination of midi and audio with perhaps a more traditional approach to making music. Not that there is anything wrong with any other creative approach. I can see that Ableton is good for live work and that FL is good for loop based work. All these DAW's have their strengths. However, for me Cubase covers enough ground that I can continue learning and expand into different ways of working in the same DAW. It's versatility is it's selling point for me.

I'm with greggybud on the need for getting Cubase free of bugs and workflow issues.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 8.1 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 8.5.20/9.0.1 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 10 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:56 pm

As we all should know, a Readers' poll is not a scientifically valid poll; it's a good site and good article, but to say "Cubase is the 6th most popular DAW" is just not a truthful statement. The only way to really make such a determination would be to conduct an actual marketing research poll using methods that generate statistically valid results. That's an expensive undertaking and if conducted by any major enterprise will be highly confidential information, even as the results are translated into its marketing, branding and development efforts.

From the article we can see that Ableton, Cubase, Logic and Pro Tools are likely in greatest use by professional studios and content creators and the others are more in use by emerging, younger artists and boutique shops.

The word "Pro" is smart, since, "Pro Tools" and Logic Pro, when will there be Sonar Pro? :-) I pay more attention to Version numbers that are incremented to reflect, we hope, meaningful development in -- stability, reliability, audio engineering features and creative resources the DAW offers. If Steinberg makes an error in its marketing its that it oversells some attributes, but, oddly, under sells some of its greatest strengths.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 9.0.40; PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converter, Scarlett 2I4; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST Instruments: Steinberg: HSSE, Retrologue 2, Groove Agent SE, Padshop, Mystic, Prologue, Spector; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3.

For help with Cubase:
Documentation - https://steinberg.help/
Everything you need to know about Generic Remote setups --
viewtopic.php?f=226&t=102993
The Steinberg Forum Knowledgebase for Users by Users viewtopic.php?f=198&t=23576

Sonik

Post by Sonik » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:27 pm

zyguli wrote:
In_Stereo wrote: I know a lot of successful younger composers and producers here and almost all of them are on the other big name DAWs.
1/ Current day "younger composers and producers" usually can't play instruments, including keys, and don't care about Cubase's superior workflow for instrument players - especially for the keyboard players.
2/ They also don't do much of tracking and comping, thus they don't care that their DAW doesn't provide the tools for that.
3/ There are lots of Ableton and FL Studio tutorials on the web and very few Cubase tutorials that would have appeal to the younger generation interested in "making EDM" and "making beats".
4/ Apple brand is big in the US.
5/ There has been no Cubase Pro crack for 8 years. Every other DAW has got it's cracked version. Even if they eventually buy the license, they usually begin with cracked version of their DAW of choice (usually Ableton and FL Studio).
That's it..
MacPro 8 core 16gb HD 5770 10.11.6|Cubase Pro 9.5|Wavelab 9.5|Protools 12.4|Logic X|Apollo Quad|4xUAD-2 (14 core)
Manley Massive Passive|Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Apogee Symphony||Euphonix McMix x2|Dangerous Music 2 Bus LT|ATC SCM20 ASL Pro|Amphion One18|
Halion Sonic 3|Komplete10|Stylus RMX|Trilian|Omnisphere 2|VSL Strings|EW Pianos|ReFx Nexus 2|AirMusicTech|Sylenth|Predator|Kick 2|
Waves 9|Vocalign 3|Melodyne|Soundtoys|Softube|Brainworx|SPL|Fabfilter|UAD
i7 3,40ghz|Asus P8P67|16GB GSkill 12800|GTS450 1gb|Win7 64|Cubase Pro 8.0.30|UAD-1|UA-25|

zooterman

Post by zooterman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 pm

I threw myself into Logic Pro as my DAW of choice, with some dilly dally-ing in Ableton Live since I own a Push 2.

I can say, holistically, through my experience switching to Cubase was a great move.
Cubase is streaks ahead of those two DAWs in my opinion, if you take the time to learn its powers. Ableton is probably the most popular because you can get away with being quite lazy. Cubase is the opposite - it commands time and effort and frustration as a rite of passage (and lots of reading of the manual) to get the best out of it. But Cubase's best is unmatched - at least by Logic and Ableton.
Cubase Pro 9.5 latest | Mac Pro 6-core 3.5GHz 32GB RAM | macOS
MH LIO-8 converter/interface

AP

Post by AP » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Here are some more polls/surveys from many sources:

https://www.careersinmusic.com/best-daw-2016

The gearslutz poll shows Cubase and logic almost equally popular. One thing is clear, the one window GUI is the way to go. All other DAWs have had this design since their introduction.

fgimian

Post by fgimian » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:40 am

Logic still lacks a way to pitch shift a clip in the arrange page in realtime. The time stretching included in Logic is also not as good as Elastique and doesn't include formant preservation.

I also don't believe there's a way to see multiple controller lanes in the piano roll.

Then there's Expression Maps and the fact that Cubase is cross-platform.

Of course, Logic has really nice instrument stacking capabilities (which I hope Cubase gets soon) and a few other little things that we don't have in Cubase.

The lack of pitch shift on the arrange page is actually a showstopper to some of us (i.e. me).

Use what makes you happy, Cubase 9.0.10 is solid here, but I haven't come across the Elastique issues yet, I tend to actually use the Steinberg algorithms (which I like better for many things).
Software & Audio Interface: Cubase 9.5.20 x64 / OS X High Sierra / Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Computer: MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2015 i7 2.6 GHz 16 GB RAM 512 GB PCIe SSD

Return to “General”