Homebase for Sonar users

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
beerbong

Re: Homebase for Sonar users

Post by beerbong » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Rhenn wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:53 am

‘You can't select a passage longer then the view. It doesn't continue scrolling to the right when you reach the edge. You have to go out of score view and use another view. There goes my workflow. They told me you can switch to page view. True, but then you only have one instrument. But I need all the instruments, as I frequently copy/paste to hear a passage on various intruments”

As I interpret this, it sounds as if you can’t view/scroll/playback multiple tracks in the score editor (ie., an orchestral score) on a continuous linear basis throughout the length of a project. Is that correct?

Many thanks for any help!
Hi. I would try to multi-select the midi objects then press enter to open them at once. Not the same at all but that gets the closest. Then there is a button at top of the midi editor editor to select which midi track you are active on (roughly top middle).
But the main determining factor depends on how your midi parts are organized in the arranger.
I would also advise to turn of the preference setting
Prefs-Editors-Open Editor commands open Editors in a Window (this isn't the default). Using the 'Lower Zone' editor (the default) too small for big midi editing.
Hopefully that is roughly helpful.
BB - Intel Quad/RME/Nvidia Video, RME Raydat, Win10 Home
Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9.5 / Wavelab Elements

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:11 pm

Rhenn wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:53 am
‘You can't select a passage longer then the view. It doesn't continue scrolling to the right when you reach the edge. You have to go out of score view and use another view. There goes my workflow. They told me you can switch to page view. True, but then you only have one instrument. But I need all the instruments, as I frequently copy/paste to hear a passage on various intruments”

As I interpret this, it sounds as if you can’t view/scroll/playback multiple tracks in the score editor (ie., an orchestral score) on a continuous linear basis throughout the length of a project. Is that correct?

Many thanks for any help!
No. All selected midi parts are visible in Score Edit view, without limitation. You would use the transport controls to navigate. That person must have been misinformed.
Cubase Pro and Nuendo, and Dorico Pro; latest versions available.
Windows Pro 10 | i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid
Macbook Pro 2011 | Mac OS 10.11

Ricardo79

Post by Ricardo79 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:26 am

Thanks Ed, it was a good idea to provide this sub-forum. As someone who made the Sonar-to-Cubase transition in April 2016 and is very happy with Cubase I offer the following observations:

- The Cubase interface is close enough to Sonar to feel familiar, however there are enough differences that one needs to make a commitment of time, say 2 to 7 days, of intense learning depending on how deep you need to go.

- The Steinberg and third party Cubase learning videos on YouTube are fantastic.

- There are two different instruction manuals for Cubase: on-line and PDF. Neither seems as useful as the Sonar instructions so consider using the videos first but be ready to slog through the manuals for the details.

- The Cubase forum is VERY DIFFERENT to the Sonar Forum. The Cubase forum is very useful but it is not a chatroom. People tend to "get in get out". There doesn't seem to be the same level of personal discussion or jokes, and there is no competition for who has used Cubase longer ;) but there are plenty of other users who are willing to help so it is a very good forum.
Cubase 9.5 Pro: RME UCX: 16GB: i7-3820: Geoforce 210 :Win 10 Home 64: LG 25 Ultrawide+Samsung BX2440

lawajava

Post by lawajava » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:54 am

Greetings all! I've moved into Cubase and am coming up to speed. I'm sure I'll be asking questions. Generally speaking I get how things work But clearly things are differently located or implemented in Cubase than Sonar. I like what I'm experiencing in this unplanned transition.
Cubase 9.5 Pro and Studio One Pro, Win 10 64-bit, IntelI7 Quad 16GB, 2TB and 1TB SSDs laptop. Focusrite Scarlett audio interface. KRK VXT8 Monitors, Avantone Mixcube, Mackie BigKnob, Komplete Kontrol S61 and S49, Guitars, primary mic is CAD Equitek E100S (two of them).

stevethompson

Post by stevethompson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi all - as a Sonar user I am glad to find this thread. Just popping in as an introduction.

I had an eLicenser USB stick laying around idle from a previous Arturia purchase, and it is working nicely with the Cubase 9.5 demo.
I'm getting more familiar with the application every day, there are certainly many features in it!

I had some exposure to remote collaboration with the Rocket Network and am looking forward to working with VST Connect once I get up to speed with the DAW.
====== Steve

System : CS400 | UAD2 | Win 10
Audio Int: Apollo | Eleven Rack
Midi Int: Fishman Tripleplay | iConnectivity
Synths: Roland D-05, D-550, MKS50, XV5080 | Venom

soul patch

Post by soul patch » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:10 pm

JohanSabatianGremlin wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:21 pm
Although the post hasn't been approved yet, I asked this in another thread. I'll ask here as this thread seems more appropriate.
1. Is there anything in Cubase that replicates Sonar's Big Time?
2. Is there anything in Cubase that replicates Sonar's Navigator view?
Yes
i7 5820k, Win 10, Cubase 9.5

audiogram

Post by audiogram » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:06 am

I am trying the evaluation version of Cubase Pro 9.5 and will probably end up buying it. It has a number of features that I like that Sonar doesn't have. I have been studying the manual and watching video tutorials which helps a lot. I also downloaded the sample project and have been playing around with it. One thing I noticed about it was that it starts with measure -1. So far I can't find mention of this feature anywhere in the manual or the videos I have watched. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to set this up in my own projects.

Thanks....

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:39 am

Select Project -> Project Setup, you can then set a custom Bar Offset.

If you want it to start at -1, set the Bar Offset to 2.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

joegab

Post by joegab » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi to you all.
I am here too and I am using cubase since 1 week and I am quite happy with it.

But, there is one problem that I have during a recording session:

while recording into an audio track the audio material already recorded in the same track in the previous bars becomes muted.
I know that I could simply record using a new track, but this is not so handy (in particular if I record with 2 or 3 mics...., and having 2 or 3 tracks to record)…

Is there a way to let cubase play the track that I am recording?

Thank you,

Giorgio

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:12 pm

simeon wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 pm
Understanding the STUDIO setup:
* METRONOME ROUTING: I am racking my brain trying to see how to adjust something as simple as how to route the internal Metronome to a BUS so I can adjust the volume. Some of the HELP files are not really clear in how to find a particular feature. I am looking for how to route CLICK but ai am not seeing it in the SETUP dialogs.
There are a couple of tricky points here. They are both awesome and confusing.
I believe by default the control room is enabled. The control room is a prebuilt monitoring buss. If you hit F4 and go to the control room tab, you will see where the control room is routed .. it should be routed to your main outs. The thing to keep in mind is that what you do in the control room is NOT rendered. It does not over-ride the main out. You can add all kinds of monitoring busses to the control room from the tab.

There are several control room views. The easiest one to get to is the right hand panel CR tab. The main monitor is always available and is where you can control metronome level. You can control the metronome level for each monitor channel you create (i.e. headhpone feeds). The control room is worthwhile to investigate.
PROJECT INFO SETTINGS:
I embed a lot of information in my Standard MIDI Files such as Title, Date of composition, Copyright info, original artist info, etc.. I am wondering exactly how to accomplish this in Cubase. I see something like a SysEx Editor that exposes some of these but wondered if there was an easier way to do this.
File->Export->MIDI File will pop up a dialog. Unfortunately it doesn't have all of the metadata you might want. To the best of my knowledge you have use a utility to edit the metadata once exported.
GM SMF LYRIC HANDLING:
My SMF Library files have a melody and lyrics always on TRACK 4 (per the GM standard). I have been having a very hard time trying to understand how to work with lyrics and melody track in Cubase using the SCORE EDITOR. SONAR had a dedicated LYRICS window that was linked to a selected track. When I copy and paste the lyrics into the SCORE EDITOR I get very mixed results. Sometimes only partial lyrics are placed and some are in the wrong positions.
I can't help here since I don't use the score editor often, but I'm pretty sure there is no dedicated lyrics track.
GENERAL NAVIGATION AND CUSTOMIZATION:
I am getting more comfortable with this and have sort of tried working on a color scheme that matches my SONR layout to feel somewhat familiar. SONAR gave us a lot of detailed options for color customizations. This is limited somewhat in Cubase by only allowing a base HUE setting in the 9.5 COLOR SCHEMES settings that lock you into a certain range of colors.
There is a custom color tab that gets around this. It's hard to explain but there is a root color (hue) box. Set that. Then go to the section you want that color for .. such as the cycle colors. Set one color based on the root hue. Notice the color gets labeled "custom". Once that happens you can go reset the base hue and set another color. It won't mess with the ones labeled "custom"
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Should default to F11 .. if not go to Studio->More Options->Time Display
Upper right on the control bar is a set of widgets to show/hide panes. You want the Overview turned on. There's hotkeys for each of these panels as well.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

audiogram

Post by audiogram » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 pm

Romantique Tp wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:39 am
Select Project -> Project Setup, you can then set a custom Bar Offset.

If you want it to start at -1, set the Bar Offset to 2.
Thank you very much!

I plan to call Sweetwater today and buy the software.

JohanSabatianGremlin

Post by JohanSabatianGremlin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:35 am

JMCecil wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 pm
Should default to F11 .. if not go to Studio->More Options->Time Display
Upper right on the control bar is a set of widgets to show/hide panes. You want the Overview turned on. There's hotkeys for each of these panels as well.
Thanks much. Looking forward to digging in to this.

Edit:
I turned on the overview. Is there any way to float it? I usually keep that on the bottom of a second monitor?

Laserkraft

Post by Laserkraft » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:29 am

I‘m pretty sure you can‘t change the position.
C 9.5 / Win 10 Custom PC / OS X MacBook Pro

ceemusic

Post by ceemusic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 pm

JMCecil wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:12 pm
There are a couple of tricky points here. They are both awesome and confusing.
I believe by default the control room is enabled. The control room is a prebuilt monitoring buss. If you hit F4 and go to the control room tab, you will see where the control room is routed .. it should be routed to your main outs. The thing to keep in mind is that what you do in the control room is NOT rendered. It does not over-ride the main out. You can add all kinds of monitoring busses to the control room from the tab.
Just wanted to add that control room is where you'd most likely want to put any RC software ( Sonarworks, ARC) It doesn't get rendered so no need to remember to turn it off. Control room ( along with it's metering) is a great feature & one reason I switched to Cubase from Sonar a few years ago.

peakae

Post by peakae » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Everyone should really use the control room, I have used Cubase many years without enabling it, fearing it would complicate things. It actually makes the handling easier IMHO.
Just to have the ability to use the Listen Bus is so useful, highly recommend to spend an hour on setting it up and testing the possibilities it gives you/us.
Cubase Pro 9.5.30, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Laserkraft

Post by Laserkraft » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Yep, i use it all the time. Great for Room correction-, metering- and reference-track-plugins!
C 9.5 / Win 10 Custom PC / OS X MacBook Pro

Mittacious

How to Organize Effects Plugins

Post by Mittacious » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:50 pm

In Sonar it is very easy to organize effects plugins. With a click or two you can put them into a category like "Reverb" or "Limiter," etc. It's also easy to create your own categories or to put a multi-function effect into more than one category.

Effects (and VST instruments) can also be sorted by category, manufacturer, and type.

How do you do something similar in Cubase?

Thanks!

The Oracle

Post by The Oracle » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:55 pm

joegab wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 pm
Hi to you all.

while recording into an audio track the audio material already recorded in the same track in the previous bars becomes muted.
I know that I could simply record using a new track, but this is not so handy (in particular if I record with 2 or 3 mics...., and having 2 or 3 tracks to record)…

Thank you,

Giorgio
Do you want to hear the Audio on that track before you drop in?
That is a preference under "Auto Monitoring". There you could choose either "While Record Running" or "Tape machine style".
If you want to hear both at the same time (playback and monitor) this not possible.

ceemusic

Re: How to Organize Effects Plugins

Post by ceemusic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Mittacious wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:50 pm
In Sonar it is very easy to organize effects plugins. With a click or two you can put them into a category like "Reverb" or "Limiter," etc. It's also easy to create your own categories or to put a multi-function effect into more than one category.

Effects (and VST instruments) can also be sorted by category, manufacturer, and type.

How do you do something similar in Cubase?

Thanks!
The VST Plug-in Manager provides lists of the effects and VST instruments that are installed onyour computer. These lists are used in the selectors for VST instruments and effects.
The VST Plug-in Manager allows you to do the following:

You can view lists of all effects and VST instruments that are loaded by Cubase when youlaunch the program.
The lists of all effects or VST instruments are created automatically every time you startCubase. You can also initiate a rescan at any time. This ensures that these lists are alwaysup-to-date.

You can create your own lists of effects or instruments for use in the selectors for effectsor instruments. User-defined lists are called collections.
Collections allow you to create sub-sets of the available effects or instruments, forexample, to give you a better overview of the effects used in a project.

Mittacious

Post by Mittacious » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks! I'll check it out.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:29 pm

joegab wrote:
Hi to you all.

Thank you,

Giorgio
Sorry but I think we are having a small language issue, so I'll try to explain two concepts in Cubase.

1) Simultaneous multiple microphones recording will be 1 track for 1 microphone (unless stereo pair, then 1 stereo track per stereo pair). This is if the recording is simultaneous.

2) loop/cycle recording. I think this is what you are referring to. In this mode Cubase makes new lane for each loop/cycle on a track. In this mode there is currently not a way to have the previous lane playback in the recording region. I've actually requested this several times, but so far no love.

joegab

Post by joegab » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:31 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:55 pm
joegab wrote:
Hi to you all.

Thank you,

Giorgio
Do you want to hear the Audio on that track before you drop in?
That is a preference under "Auto Monitoring". There you could choose either "While Record Running" or "Tape machine style".
If you want to hear both at the same time (playback and monitor) this not possible.
Hi, thank you for your answer.

I understand that if a track is in recording mode the audio inside is automatically muted.

However I think that there should be an option (maybe into the preferences) that could change this behaviour.

In my experience (I used Sonar for 20 years.... I am a guitar player) when I record some parts I usually do this:
(please note that I cannot play ALL the song in one single recording, and I usually record section by section)

as example:

I need to record a something from bar 1 to 32....

I record from bar 1 to 16 - OK
then I need to record from bar 17.... but I also need that my recording sounds good in particular between bar 16 and 17, so I need to hear exactly what it was happening before bar 17 ... right?

I know that I could use a PUNCH in at 17 .... but it could be much easier if I could simply hear what was happening (in sonar I did that a lot of times).

As I told, I also know that I could record in two different tracks, but if I am using 2 microphones this will become quite complicated.

What do you think upon this scenario?

Thanks again,

Giorgio

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:35 pm

by the way, the simplest thing to do is drag the "good" lane to a new track. This will allow it to play back without having to reroute things. That's my current work around for this workflow.

EDIT: So for me, I typically want to do this while building vocal harmonies. I want to quickly just loop the harmony parts without stopping. I want to hear each previous lane as it loops to build the context of the harmony. It is definitely more cumbersome in Cubase right now.
Last edited by JMCecil on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joegab

Post by joegab » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Mmm, ok, so you suggest that every time that a small section is "well recorded", I could drag the clip into a new track?

Yes, I know, and this could be a solution (but recording more than 1 track at the same time, maybe with 2 or 3 mics, this becomes not so handy...).

Anyway couldn't be better to have a "switch" into the preferences that allows to hear the same track while recording?

Thanks again...

Giorgio

Return to “General”