Homebase for Sonar users

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Re: Homebase for Sonar users

Post by JMCecil » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:42 pm

joegab wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 pm
Anyway couldn't be better to have a "switch" into the preferences that allows to hear the same track while recording?
As I mentioned, I have requested this many times over the years. Heck, it's possible it's there and I don't know it :D But I don't think so. Only so many Christmas miracles allowed :lol:
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

joegab

Post by joegab » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Ok, maybe I will try to ask for this into the Feature Requests and Suggestions section of the forum....

Thank a lot .... and have a good day!!!

CIAO

Giorgio

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:45 pm

joegab wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 pm
maybe with 2 or 3 mics, this becomes not so handy...).
Actually I'm not clear on that part .. 2 or 3 mics should always go to separate tracks. I'm not following what you are trying to do in that scenario.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

joegab

Post by joegab » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:55 pm

Yes: if I record with 3 mics - I set up 3 tracks (OK).

If I need to "move" the clips every time as you described (for "monitoring purposes"), I need to move 3 clips every time into 3 new tracks (carefully, moving the clips in the corrects 3 "extra" track that I created for monitoring purposes).

As I told, it could be MUCH better if Cubase stops muting my audio while recording, no?

Giorgio

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:38 pm

joegab wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:55 pm
Yes: if I record with 3 mics - I set up 3 tracks (OK).

If I need to "move" the clips every time as you described (for "monitoring purposes"), I need to move 3 clips every time into 3 new tracks (carefully, moving the clips in the corrects 3 "extra" track that I created for monitoring purposes).

As I told, it could be MUCH better if Cubase stops muting my audio while recording, no?

Giorgio
Yes I think so, just wanted to make sure we were saying the same thing. You just want to do it across multiple inputs. I don't think it's more/less useful regardless of number of tracks. Like I said for me, vocal harmony building is a biggy where this would help tremendously. Not to mention guitar multi-track building.

joegab

Post by joegab » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Yeah, a different example could also be while recording guitar without metronome and NOT staying into Cubase's grid (a "free" recording, ok?)

If you do this, and you stop recording in a particular moment, and you need to record further, you NEED to hear exactly where you stopped and what you played, so you can go on.... (punch in is not an elegant solution...)

It is also unhandy to create more tracks for monitoring purposes.

I think that a simple checkbox into the preferences could be created: "mute" or "don't mute" previous clips while recording tracks.... - that's all.

I will probably write into the Feature Requests and Suggestions section of this forum .... asking for this....

bye,

Giorgio

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:59 pm

I keep hoping someone comes in and says "geez you idiot all you have to do is xxx"

peakae

Post by peakae » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Use tape machine style monitoring, and set punch IN/OUT points. Will still be a little muted spot where the playback switches to recording, that trips up some musicians, especially piano pieces are horrible to record that way.
Duplicating tracks is the way I usually handle that, but yes it can get messy, linking tracks and keeping them in folders can help.
Cubase Pro 9.5, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, CMC TP, CMC CH.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:23 pm

peakae wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:19 pm
Use tape machine style monitoring, and set punch IN/OUT points. Will still be a little muted spot where the playback switches to recording, that trips up some musicians, especially piano pieces are horrible to record that way.
Duplicating tracks is the way I usually handle that, but yes it can get messy, linking tracks and keeping them in folders can help.
this is the method that does NOT solve the workflow :D Obviously the current method works for traditional punch in recording. And the recently added punch point markers are a godsend. But as for the examples I provided, vocal harmony building and rapid guitar multi=tracking, the existing functions are of no use.

JohanSabatianGremlin

Post by JohanSabatianGremlin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:53 am

A couple questions about audio file and library management. Is there a way to globally set where audio files are recorded to? I would like to make it so any new project created automatically wants to store the project and audio files on a drive dedicated to audio. Also is there a way to move the included VST content/libraries to an external drive?

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:04 am

if you look at the bottom of the "new project" dialog you can see choices where you can set up defaults or prompt each time you start a new project. Once you start a project you can also go to the pool and and set the record location.

JohanSabatianGremlin

Post by JohanSabatianGremlin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:18 am

JMCecil wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:04 am
if you look at the bottom of the "new project" dialog you can see choices where you can set up defaults or prompt each time you start a new project. Once you start a project you can also go to the pool and and set the record location.
Simple enough. Thanks for the help.

Now for the second question. Is there a way to move things like the Grove Agent library and the Halion libraries that install with Cubase? I found the Halion library manager but so far, all the content is listed on the INSTALLED side of things and the Move buttons are not active.

beerbong

Post by beerbong » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:40 am

JohanSabatianGremlin wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:18 am

Now for the second question. Is there a way to move things like the Grove Agent library and the Halion libraries that install with Cubase? I found the Halion library manager but so far, all the content is listed on the INSTALLED side of things and the Move buttons are not active.
In short, these libraries are all located in *.vstsound files. Where it gets tricky is you can ONLY move the library files but not .vstsound files associated with the core program(s). I think I avoided moving and of those files which don't appear to be actual sound libraries (eg not Cubase files).
Next open media bay (F5) and make sure the new directory is checked and then do a quick scan (via right click) to activate that location. If Cubase finds any of the sounds missing you it should ask you to point to the new location and that should be all that's needed.
BB - Intel Quad/RME/AMD Video, Win10 Home
Cubase 7.5 32 bit / Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9

SuperG

Post by SuperG » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:34 am

I've been demoing Cubase and, so far everything looks good. It'll take awhile getting used to. Mostly, I played around with demo project, experimented with different routings, external midi romplers, the control room, and so on. It took me awhile to figure out cue mixes. I figured they were like sends, but Cubase treats them separately. I had to watch a video to figure out that you need to select all the channels you want, then right-click in the control room to enable all those cue mix sends. Is this the only way to enable multiple controls at once? I'm used to either modifying mult-selected tracks through Sonar's inspector, or if in Sonar's console, click-hold and swiping across multiple channels on a toggled control.

kronosman

Post by kronosman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:01 pm

I'm having difficulty discovering how to insert program/patch changes into a Cubase MIDI track. In Sonar, this was a simple procedure and allowed you to search through available programs to select a patch. In Cubase, it appears that the only way to insert a program change is to use the List Editor and insert the basic MIDI data.
This procedure leaves much to be desired in that you'd have to program the bank number and patch number every time the track requires a change.
What am I missing? I find it hard to believe that a program as sophisticated as Cubase doesn't have a more elegant way to accomplish this task.

kronosman

Post by kronosman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:09 pm

I'd appreciate any help on inserting program/patch changes into a Cubase track. In Sonar, this was easily accomplished by using the "Insert Bank/Patch Change" option. When doing so, you could see a list of all available programs or search on a keyword.
In Cubase, it appears from the documentation that you have to insert an event into the List Editor to insert a program change. This method requires you to know the exact bank/patch number you wish to insert. Yes, you can use a filter to find a program in the project window's left zone, but that doesn't give you the numbers nor does it insert a change event.
What am I missing here? I can't believe that a program as sophisticated as Cubase doesn't have a more elegant way to insert patch changes.

Detwoen

Post by Detwoen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi
Can anyone tell me where the demo project is that SuperG mentions in his post above?

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:39 am

Detwoen wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:35 pm
Hi
Can anyone tell me where the demo project is that SuperG mentions in his post above?
There is a Cubase Pro 9.5 demo project available in the Steinberg Download Assistant.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/co ... stant.html
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

Detwoen

Post by Detwoen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks very much Ed

bartveld

Post by bartveld » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:28 pm

As I am a former Sonar user who's made the jump to Cubase I feel it's appropriate to put this question here, even though it's not technical: What's customer service at Steinberg like? I ask this because I filled out a ticket 17 days ago and still haven't received any answer. The experience with Cakewalk was rather different. And yes, I also put the question here at the forum, but there, too, everyone seemed preoccupied with their own problems (or maybe they didn't have an answer).

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:44 pm

bartveld wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:28 pm
As I am a former Sonar user who's made the jump to Cubase I feel it's appropriate to put this question here, even though it's not technical: What's customer service at Steinberg like? I ask this because I filled out a ticket 17 days ago and still haven't received any answer. The experience with Cakewalk was rather different. And yes, I also put the question here at the forum, but there, too, everyone seemed preoccupied with their own problems (or maybe they didn't have an answer).
I assume that this has the potential of derailing this topic quite a bit ;) As the support manager for Europe, I can honestly say that we try our best to answer as fast as possible. Every now and then we succeed and every now and then we fail (yes, 17 days counts a a major fail).
In autumn we were on a good way to reduce the backlog again but the Christmas business and other events just like the Cakewalk incident didn't really help. That's how it is and we hope to improve the situation after the Christmas holidays again.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

bjornpdx

Post by bjornpdx » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Cakewalk/Sonar user here 20+ years. Never used another DAW and slowly finding my way around Cubase.

Question
I have three midi tracks (or parts? I can't wrap my head around "parts" and "events"..) showing in the Key Editor.
I want to move five notes on midi track 1
However when I select the five notes by drawing a rectangle around them there's a couple of notes from track 3 that are also selected.
When I move the intended five notes on track 1 the notes on track 3 get moved too which I don't want.

So there's probably a way to do it, but I'm not finding it: I want to lock tracks 2 and 3 such that the notes aren't affected if they're included within a selection rectangle for track 1.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:30 pm

This is how I see the terms ... I'm pretty sure this is close if not actual

Track = Configuration and main Routing container...
Part = a Container of MIDI Events
Event(s) = The actual MIDI message data

You probably have what are called "shared copies". If you look at the top right of one of the parts that is moving when you are editing in another part, it will have an equal "=" sign in the top right. Goto MIDI->Function->Convert to real copy.

fccfirstclass

Post by fccfirstclass » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:21 pm

Another Cakewalk Sonar user here since the good ole DOS days. So far, so good. Just wanted to say Hi to all. With the Holidays here, I have not had a lot of time to play with CB95 other than to just get used to the GUI.

Happy Holidays to all and a Solvent New Year! :D

Clint

bjornpdx

Post by bjornpdx » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:46 pm

JMCecil wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:30 pm
You probably have what are called "shared copies". If you look at the top right of one of the parts that is moving when you are editing in another part, it will have an equal "=" sign in the top right. Goto MIDI->Function->Convert to real copy.
I don't have "MIDI->Function->Convert to real copy" as a choice (?)

Anyway someone in another forum explained it to me. (The info is in the "Handling Several MIDI Parts" in the manual.)
You have to select a part in "Currently Edited Part" menu and then activate "Edit Active Part Only" to restrict editing operations to the active part.

And I think I'm at One with the "Parts" and "Events" terms now. :D

Return to “General”